Self Portrait in an Outlaw Amish Barn
"Lonesome Liz is more than just Outalw Country, she's the female Robert Johnson." - Hank Hart, Southern Fried Magazine

video and song adaptation by Lonesome Liz

live in Richmond, video by Ron Thomas Smith

I Was Drinking Beer When the Whiskey Took Over

I was drinkin' beer when the whiskey took over.
Woke up this morning' in jail in Hanover.
It's been a long time since I was sober.
I'm not sure what I did.

I ain't upset and I ain't complainin'.
There's a lot of names that I ain't naming'.
Bein' behind bars is kinda drainin'.
Wish they'd just send me home.

If I knew what I didn't do
I sure wouldn't tell you.
I wouldn't be in here
if I'd have just stuck to beer.

I was drinkin' beer when the whiskey got to me.
Sorrow rained down and the blues walked through me.
I ain't sayin' much but it ain't on me.
So the story goes...

That's what I say and I'm sticking' to it.
I may be here but I didn't do it.
I was gonna run but I figured screw it.
That's all you need to know.

If I knew what I didn't do etc

I was drinkin' beer when the whiskey hit me
then his memory and then the misery
I'm pretty sure the Devil bit me
just leave me alone.

The judge looked straight at me this mornin'
said he'd given me fair warnin'
the whole damn thing is kinda alarmin'
wish he'd have just sent me home.

I been here too long
and I ain't done no wrong
I wouldn't be here
if I'd have just stuck to beer.

I was drinkin' beer when the whiskey got to me
everyone said that's how the Devil'd do me.
I was gonna run but didn't think they'd screw me
I didn't do no wrong.

Took three bailiffs and a sheriff to hold me
when my lawyer up and told me
down the river those bastards had sold me
bottom line, my ass is gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

live with the Goddamn Gallows, video by Ron Thomas Smith

with Jesco the Dancing Outlaw, video by Ron Thomas Smith

with the Richmond Blues Society, video by Ron Thomas Smith